In this tutorial, we are going to create the model for graphene using 3Ds Max 2017.
- Open the 3Ds Max 2017 software, the interface will look like this:
2. In upleft panel, the screen the top view. Press Alt key and “W” key to maximize the view.
3. On the right side the screen, you will find the “create panel”. Find Sphere, press and enter the parameters as this, then press create a circle will be created at the center of the screen:
4. Now press, the “W” key, then the mouse will change to “move” mode. Press and hold SHIFT key while drag the sphere to the right, you will have another sphere via copy.
5. Using the same method, you can create the basic atom for the graphene with the coordinate at the exact value at the bottom of the following figures:
6. Then at the top of the screen, right click on the Snaps Toggle:
7. Click on the Pivot and then close the dialog.
8. Now at the right side of the screen, click the “Shapes” tag on the create panel, and choose line, and select the following parameters:
9. Then click and drag from atom to atom, the bond will be generated automatically between the atoms.
10. Connect the following atoms using the exact bonds as following:
11. Press “S” the disable the Snaps toggle. Then click and press “delete” for the following atoms.
12. Press “Ctrl” and A to select all the elements as following:
13. In the top menu, choose “Tools” and then “Array” to open the following dialog. Enter the value of 17.32 at the Move-> Y, then click OK.
14. You will get something like this. Press “Ctrl” and A key again to select all the atoms and bonds, then choose “Tools” and then “Array” again to open the array dialog.
15. In this dialog, clean the Y value to 0 and enter the value of 30 at X, then click preview, you will see the screen like this:
16. Then drag and select the idle bonds like this one.
17. Press the delete key to remove these bonds.
18. Using the same method, delete the idle bonds at the right side of the graphene.
19. Press “Shift” key and “q” key, you will render the image like this: